Wednesday, July 31, 2013

I'm back!

Hey everyone! It's been a year since I have posted. Many different aspects have kept me from throwing my thoughts on the blog, and I'll save you the headache of reading into them. While I haven't had a ton of fishing trips lately, I have had a couple of good days. I am starting off my return with a review of a great rod that I picked up recently and have fell in love with it. 

A friend and fellow kayak angler has recently purchased a bait and tackle shop. If you are in the Lake Wylie area, you should stop in and check out Adam Fillmore over at Lake Wylie Bait and Tackle. Whether you are looking for some new gear, an old favorite bait, or even some good advice or reports, he has what you need, and will probably throw in a little sarcasm for free. 

I was in the market for a new spinning rod for some finesse fishing, and I honestly didn't know which way to go. I have fished a St. Croix Mojo rod, a Field and Stream Tec-Spec, and a few others. While they all had a lot of pros, they had their cons. Adam turned me over to 13 Fishing's Omen series. I am thoroughly impressed. I picked up a 7'1" M Omen Black, and it is amazing! I have fished it with weightless flukes, Texas rigged trick worms and senkos, even with pop-r's, and I haven't been in a situation yet where I wasn't happy with the results. 

The biggest surprise occured while fishing a t-rigged worm over Lilly pads and hooked in to a good 2.5 pounder. The hook set felt great, and using braid I wasn't concerned with the line. The surprise came first with the sensitivity. I felt the bite on the fall with certainty and the rod gave me plenty of backbone to fight through the pads. 

I have had no issues with hook set, even with twitching weightless plastics. The casting comes remarkably easy, especially being paired with a 2500 series Shimano reel. 

The over the top factor is the price point. At $100, this rod is in my opinion the best for your buck. I have fished with less expensive and more expensive rods, but this brand has my loyalty now and for years to come! 

Check them out at www.13fishing.com and they are on Facebook and twitter as @13fishing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment